People are using cannabidiol (CBD) health and wellness products for treating various ailments due to their therapeutic and health benefits. This is due to CBD’s positive effect on the endocannabinoid system (ECS) that is common in all vertebrate mammals. One of the popular cannabidiol items is CBD oil, and this is due to its versatility in usage. People consume it directly or add in foods and beverages to experience its benefits. Moreover, studies have shown it to be useful for treating ailments in children, and this article will investigate the use of CBD oil for anxiety in kids.
CBD Oil For Anxiety
Studies have shown that CBD is effective for treating the symptoms of various neurological and mental disorders like anxiety and depression. Due to this, and coupled with its other health benefits, cannabidiol was removed from the list of schedule I drugs. Also, the FDA has approved the use of Epidiolex, a CBD derived drug for treating Lennox-Gastaut syndrome, and Dravet syndrome in children above two years old. Moreover, clinical trials for this drug have shown CBD to be effective in easing anxiety. Apart from this, research is conducted to better understand the anxiety-reducing effect of CBD in autism spectrum disorder.
Working Of CBD Oil To Alleviate Anxiety
It has been found from multiple studies that CBD acts as a serotonin reuptake inhibitor and thereby increases its levels in the brain. You should also know that serotonin is an important neurotransmitter influencing many vital functions of the body including psychological wellbeing. For example, its concentration in the brain influences mood, anxiety levels, and happiness. Apart from this, CBD also increases anandamide levels, and thereby improves the mood. These are the two major neurotransmitters that are positively influenced by CBD and thereby help with alleviating anxiety symptoms.
Also, CBD stimulates the hippocampus region of the brain that plays a critical role in memory formation. It is assumed that this is also one of the reasons for cannabidiol’s anxiolytic effect. Moreover, reduced anxiety results in lesser neuronal damage from oxidative stress. So, it is the culmination of these effects of CBD oil that makes it useful for alleviating anxiety in kids.
Pros And Cons Of CBD Oil For Anxiety In Kids
- Studies show that CBD oil for anxiety is useful for treating various anxiety disorders in adults, as well as children. This is because of its anxiolytic effect which it imparts by positively influencing neurological functioning.
- One advantage of CBD oil is that it can be purchased without a prescription in locations where it is legalized.
- Consuming CBD oil for anxiety does not pose the risk of developing an addiction.
- CBD is considered safe by the World Health Organisation (WHO) because it is well-tolerated up to 1,500mg per day.
- The number of scientific studies available is limited to determine CBD’s effectiveness in treatments.
- Apart from the clinical studies for Epidiolex, CBD has not been extensively tested in children.
- There is also the risk of CBD interacting with medications causing adverse side effects.
- Also, there is the possibility of side-effects like diarrhea, fatigue, changes in appetite, and weight, at higher doses.
- Finally, because the market for CBD products is mostly unregulated, there are high chances of coming across fake products, and customers must be aware of this.
CBD Oil For Anxiety Compared To Alternative Treatment For Kids
Usually, children with anxiety disorders are prescribed SSRI because of its few side-effects, and they are non-addictive. In cases of acute anxiety, benzodiazepines are used in children. But, the issue with these pharmaceutical drugs is that they are bad for health in long term consumption. Also, when using CBD for anxiety in children, you must know that it interacts with several medications including SSRIs and benzodiazepines.
There are nonpharmaceutical therapies for anxiety disorders like meditation and yoga because of their self-soothing nature. These practices reduce levels of stress, and thereby anxiety, both in adults and children. Moreover, combining CBD’s anxiolytic effect along with these practices increases the effectiveness of these practices.
Choosing The Right CBD Oil For Anxiety In Kids
To experience the maximum anxiolytic effect in children, it is better to choose full-spectrum CBD oil because of its entourage effect. But, since children are more sensitive to THC present in this type of CBD oil, it is better to opt for pure CBD oil made using CBD isolate, i.e. 99% cannabidiol. Also, before purchasing any CBD products, do thorough preliminary research to ensure that it abides all legal stipulations set by the FDA.
It is always better to buy CBD oil for anxiety in kids from reputed manufacturers that sources hemp plant extracts from the US. When buying from an online or a physical store, ensure that they are legally approved by the government to sell CBD products. Also, do thorough research and read customer reviews about the product.
These are some of the points that you should bear in mind when using CBD oil for anxiety in kids, Moreover, you must consult with a pediatrician about your plan of using CBD oil.